The Diabetes Education Centre has a Registered Dietician and Registered Nurse who see both inpatients and outpatients, and works with your doctor to plan the best care for you. Services are for Type 1, Type 2, Gestational and Prediabetes clients. The program assists people and families with diabetes to learn about living well with diabetes. Some of the services provided include:
- Individual and group education
- Nutrition counselling, menu planning, grocery tours, reading labels
- Assessment, clinical monitoring and management
- Provision of blood sugar meters and education on their use
- Focus on prevention of complications and development of healthy lifestyle
- Blood pressure and blood sugar screening
- Resource library for loan of videos, cook books, and various books and materials related to diabetes
Members of the AMGH Diabetes Team include: Dr McLean, Endocrinologist; Susan Crawford, Dietitian; Patti Boynton, Diabetes Educator (RN); Crystal Dalton, Clerical Support and Bookings; and Richard Bedard, Director Clinical Support Services. The AMGH Diabetes Program has been running for over 25 years and is one of the 8 Huron Perth Diabetes Centers.
The Registered Dietician also councils and works with patients who have other health problems such as, gastric disorders, celiac disease, lactose intolerance, allergies, childhood obesity, cholesterol and Healthy Hearts diets.
Your family doctor can refer you or if you don’t have a doctor, you may refer yourself. To book or reschedule an appointment please call (519) 524-8689 ext. 5282.
Driving and Diabetes Guidelines
Busy Bodies - Activity Cards
Eat Right Be Active - Ages 3-5
How to Build a Healthy Preschooler - Letter